Sunday, April 18, 2021

What Does Hell Mean? What If It's Not Forever? What if Hell Is Even for Healing?

Has it ever happened to you?   Have you ever found yourselves remembering something, and then you realized to yourself?   Hmm, I’m not exactly sure that ever happened or at least, that it ever happened to me.   Memory can be a tricky thing.

In fact, a couple of researchers in the 90s created a now famous experiment just to show you how tricky your memory can be.  They told the participants in the experiment that they were engaging in a study on memory.  Then they gave the participants four stories of events that had occurred to them when they were kids, stories that the participants’ older relatives had supplied them.   They asked them to study the stories, and then share their own memories of those same events.

Now here comes the twist.  One of the stories, a story of how they got lost in a mall when they were 5 or 6, never ever happened. Now, when they met with the participants, they asked them to recall what they remembered about those four events.   Then after the participants did so, they gave them the twist.  They told them.  One of these memories never happened.  They asked them. Can you pick which one is false?  And get this.  One out of four couldn’t do it.    They believed that memory of getting lost in the mall had actually happened.   That meant too that they believe that something that had actually happened to them had not happened at all!   

And get this, other researchers have repeated the experiment and created false memories about even more obscure things like taking a hot-air balloon ride or being hospitalized overnight or being nearly drowned but rescued by a lifeguard or being the victim of a vicious animal attack. 

Crazy, huh? Boy, your memory can be a tricky thing.  And that makes sense to me because of how many things people misremember about the Bible.   Like, the Bible says there were three wise men.  Nope it doesn’t.   Jonah got swallowed by a whole.  Nope – didn’t happen – big fish it says, which is not the same as a whale at all.   Or how about this great old memory verse – “This too shall pass.” Oops, except that’s not anywhere in the Bible. 

 So why am I talking about fake memories?  It’s because when I started looking more closely at what the Bible says about hell, I realized I had a fair number of those.   What do I mean?  Not one of Paul’s letters (which are like half the books in the New Testament) ever mentions the word hell or talks about in any direct way (judgment yes, death yes, but not hell).  When I first read that, I thought.  That can’t be true.  But go figure, it is.  In fact, lots of what I thought I knew about hell from the Bible isn’t really there.  And what is there paints a far more complicated picture than I realized.   In fact, the more I looked at what the Bible actually does tell you, the more I discovered just what a beautiful picture of God’s love, hell can be.  How can that be?  Here, in these words, God shows you the way.  Let’s listen and hear what God has to say. 

 1 Timothy 2:3-61 Corinthians 3:11-15

 How in the hell (pun intended) can hell be a sign of God’s love?  To even get at understanding that, you need to see a truth that scripture gives you again and again.  What is that truth?  It’s this. Hell isn’t the end of the story.  It’s not the end of the story for anyone.  In fact, hell exists for only one reason - to get everyone, and I mean, everyone, ready for heaven.

Did you notice that first passage that I read?   I picked that one because well I just like the way Paul puts it there.  But I could have picked any number of other ones like 1 Corinthians 15:22 or Romans 11:32 or Titus 2:11 or 2 Corinthians 5:19 or Colossians 1:27-28.   Or if I got tired of Paul, I could go to John 12:32 or Hebrews 2:9 or John 4:42 or 2 Peter 3:9.  You get the idea.  When you start paying attention, you find the same point pretty much everywhere.  And what point is that?   In the end, everybody gets saved.  That’s God’s plan.  God is going to bring everybody home.   

You see, that’s what that passage from I Timothy is telling you.   Paul is writing to his student pastor, Timothy, urging him to pray for everyone, including all the rulers and authorities.  Why does Paul urge that sort of prayer?  Because Paul says: In the end, God wants them saved too.  Here’s how Paul puts exactly.   Paul writes: This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires everyone to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth.”   And if you were going to look at any one of those other scripture passages that I threw out there, you’d find the same thing lifted up.   In the end, God wants everybody to get in.   In fact, a lot of those passages get more explicit than that.  They simply say.  “All will be saved.”   In other words, God desires everyone to get saved, and what God desires, God ultimately gets.         

And when you think about it, this makes some sense. Let’s say I’m having an interview with God.  Let me introduce my guest tonight, God, the ground of all reality, the source of all being, the creator of time and space.  So, God, inquiring minds want to know.”  Do you save everybody?  Well, I want to sue.  I was even able to get a lot of folks on board, but not everyone.  How many did you miss God?  Well, to be honest, billions.  They just could not get on board with the whole God thing, couldn’t even get them to believe I exist.  So I put them over there in Hell”  So, let me get this clear, God.  “You are the Lord of all time and space, source of all reality,with infinite power?..”Yep that’s me”   Except for this area called Hell, with billions living there, who you couldn’t win over.  You wanted too, but you just could not get it done.”  Is that true, God?  “Basically.”  “Gotta be honest, that’s a bit lame.”    And God goes, “Well, that’s sort of a blasphemous way to put it, but I get your point.”  Now I’m making light of it a bit.  But seriously, does that make any sense?  

Now if you’re thinking.  Hold on, a second, Kennedy!  What about my freedom?   Don’t I get to choose?  Yes, but it gets a bit more complicated than that.  So, next Sunday, I’m going to dig into that particular little conundrum.   Right now, you just need to understand that scripture makes it pretty clear in a lot of places, that in the end, everybody gets in. 

Ok, then, so what about hell?  Does hell exist?  Of course it does.  The Bible mentions it a fair amount.   But here’s the point.  If you don’t understand the end goal, you can’t see what Hell actually means.   And when you get that, then you understand.  Hell isn’t focused on punishing anyone at all.   Hell, as the Bible describes it, is focused on the opposite.  Hell is focused on healing you, on freeing you from the worst parts of yourself.   Hell exists for one reason only.  Hell exists to get you ready to experience heaven. 

And that’s where that passage from Paul’s letter to the church at Corinth comes in, which is pretty much the nearest allusion to Hell that Paul ever gives you.  Now, what Paul describes there doesn’t seem pleasant at all, but when you think about it, healing never is.

As you might know, about six weeks ago, my dad woke up, and could no longer see.  Needless to say, he was terrified.   My sister, Anna, and brother-in-law, Kenny, rushed him to the hospital. There he had the first of what would turn out to be three surgeries.  And after all those surgeries, the doctors believe his vision will, in about six months, almost fully return.  But every week since the last surgery, my dad has had to go in.  Why? So the surgeon can stick a needle into his eye to drain out the excess fluid.   My dad has told me.  That needle in his eye, it hurts, well, it hurts like hell.   But if that’s what it takes for him to see, my dad is more than willing to face that pain.   In fact, he is grateful for this surgeon, who has been so committed to helping him see again. 

When the Bible talks about hell, it is not talking about punishment or revenge.  That would hardly fit with a God who the Bible describes as a God of steadfast love, abounding in mercy and loving kindness. No, hell is about healing.  Now what might this healing look like? 

Every day, I make it a practice to spend ten minutes in silence, a form of prayer called centering prayer.  No spiritual practice has brought more healing or strength into my life than this one.  But every time, every time, I do it, it is painful.  Why?  Once, my mind somewhat settles, and I sense myself opening more to the intimate presence of God, all sorts of deep, painful emotions well up within me, grief, sadness, regret.   Those emotions, they’ve always been there.  I just spent a lot of energy avoiding them.  But God’s love, in that silence, draws them out.  And why?  So, I can be healed, so that God’s love can comfort and restore me, can break me free from what I fear, from pain I too often flee or cover up. 

Maybe God’s love in hell will draw near like that, to draw out all the brokenness and ugliness and pain, so that everyone can be healed.   Or maybe it will be a bit like when my mom helped me run away from home. 

I don’t remember what I had become upset about, but I remember what I wanted to do about it.  I wanted to get out of that house, to leave that family behind forever.   I told my mom that, in no uncertain terms.  And my mom, to my shock, said ok.   If I remember it correctly, she even packed me a lunch to take with me.   I think I made it about ¾’s of a mile before I decided. Maybe running away wasn’t the best option after all.   And when I came home, embarrassed, a bit humbled, even willing to admit that I might have been wrong, my mom was there.  And she forgave me and welcomed me with open arms. 

Now, let me make it clear, I don’t want to sentimentalize this too much.  The journey that is hell, as the Bible describes it, will be one profoundly dark and lonely, where, as Jesus puts it, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.  But in that darkness, God will find a way to bring those lost in the darkness to the light.   Or as the Bible describes hell here, it might become like a refining fire, burning out people’s idols and delusions, every useless thing that blinds them from the truth.   But in that fire, God will refine and free and restore and heal.

Now, sadly, Christianity has largely lost touch with what a good many of the early Christians saw more clearly than we do.  We have forgotten what we once knew.   But look at the scriptures for yourself or set up a time for further conversation or pray about it, or heck do all those things. And see if this early Christian belief makes sense to you. 

And I pray that all of us, as we reflect on these things, will grow closer to God’s heart, a God who yearns for everyone to know God’s love, to be healed and restored, to experience the abundant life that God intended for us all. 

In fact, God desired that so much, God gave up everything for it.  One of my favorite scripture passages comes from Hebrews 12.  There it says that Jesus. “for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame.”   But what was the joy set before Jesus, the joy for which he endured the cross.  You were that joy.  You are that joy.   Jesus became wounded so that you could be healed.  Jesus became rejected so that you would never be.   Jesus became shut out so that you might be brought in.   And Jesus died so that you might live, so that you might become all that God dreamed for you to be.  And Jesus will not stop in that love, even if it means going to hell and beyond.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment