Sunday, March 15, 2020

What Does True Freedom Really Look Like? It May Not Be What You Think.


I know it’s not true, but I still get caught up in it anyway.    I see it, and I find it so hard to resist.  I think to myself.   But it’s free.     But here’s the painful truth.  It’s not free.   It’s not free at all.

Do you ever get caught up in a BOGO, you know one of those “buy one, get one free” deals at the grocery stores?   But you do realize, it’s not really free.   It’s just half price.   But if it was just half price, would you likely buy two?  But if it’s “buy one, get one free”, well you just gotta get the other one right?  You can’t let that free one just sit on the shelf.    After all, it’s free!  Boy those grocery store folks are clever!

But those BOGOs make a powerful point.  What looks free often deceives.  What people think looks like freedom usually doesn’t bring real freedom at all.   Instead, it often brings the opposite.   Yet our world offers those false promises of freedom all the time.    And those false promises lead to heartbreak, to brokenness, even death.   How can you make sure you don’t get caught up in the false freedoms, but open yourself to experience the real thing?  In this famous story, Jesus shows you the way.  Let’s listen and hear what Jesus has to say.


What looks like freedom often doesn’t bring freedom at all.   In fact, it can even bring the exact opposite.     So how do you avoid getting caught up in a false promise of freedom?   In this story, Jesus tells you.   How do you find the key to real freedom?   You find it by trusting in the love.
But before you can unpack what trusting in the love looks like, you need to see first what is it that makes a false freedom false.   And in this younger brother we see someone caught up in a false idea of freedom.   But he’s not the only one that has it.   A lot of folks in the world base their lives on that same false idea.  And what is that idea?   Freedom means no constraints, no limits.   And that idea of freedom can sound awesome.  In fact, even as I wrote those words, I could sense them attracting me. 

So, you can see, why they attracted the younger brother.   After all, that’s why he wants the money.  He doesn’t want the money to invest or to manage.  He wants the money to buy him the freedom.  With that money, he can go out on his own.  He can make his own way in the world.  He doesn’t need to be confined by his family’s expectations or even his culture’s.   In fact, he knew. By demanding this inheritance, he was shattering those very expectations.   He was breaking the rules, and not just little rules, but big ones.   But hey, if that’s what it took to get freedom, that’s what it took.  “Sorry dad.  I know it hurts to know that I wish you were dead.  But hey, I gotta be free.”
But is that idea of freedom: no constraints; no limits, is that even really freedom?

Years ago, the Episcopal priest Nicky Gumbel shared a somewhat embarrassing story on himself.   He had taken his son to play in a local soccer game.   But when they got there, it turned out that the referee hadn’t shown up. But both the teams had.   So, Nicky thought.   I know a bit about soccer.   I can ref the game.  So, he volunteered to help.   But a few minutes into the game, one of the players fell on the field.  He claimed that the other player had fouled him.  But Nicky wasn’t so sure.  So, he said.  Play on.   Then a few moments later, it looked like the ball might have gone out of bounds, but Nicky wasn’t sure, so he said, play on.    And it wasn’t too long before player casualties were everywhere, and both teams were almost at each other’s throats.  Thankfully, at that point, the ref arrived, and quickly put everything back in order.  And Nicky Gumbel’s brief and disastrous career as a ref mercifully ended.

Do you get it?  Nicky’s way of refereeing offered just that way of freedom, no constraints, no limits.   But how did that work?   It didn’t.  It didn’t bring freedom.  It brought the opposite.  No one could enjoy or even play the game at all.  In fact, you can’t play any game without some constraints, some limits. 

Heck, what would traffic be like, if we didn’t have red lights or stop signs or speed limits?  Could any one even drive at all?   And even if you could drive, who would want to?  Talk about chaos. 

Heck, as a nation, all of sudden we are all facing all sorts of constraints and limits.   We can’t shake hands.   We have to wash our hands all the time.  We can’t even go to Disney World.   Yet, without all those constraints, people could die.   And let me tell you, death, that pretty much ends your freedom, at least this side of heaven.  While I look forward to going to heaven one day.  I’m not ready to go yet.  And I sure don’t want to be responsible for sending anyone else there.   So, if I need to wash my hands a bit more and wave at you across the sanctuary or even stop worshipping in person for a few weeks, those are limits I’m more than willing to take. 

But this younger brother is going for the no limits, no constraints idea of freedom.  So, he gets Dad’s money, but what ends up happening?   He just trades one set of limits for another.   He ends up spending it all.  But think about that.  How does that happen?  He had to know he was blowing through the money.  So why couldn’t he stop?   Why couldn’t he stop before it was too late?

When I was in my mid-twenties, I went through a double whopper with cheese phase.   My local Burger King had a late-night drive thru.   And about ten pm, I’d feel the craving come on.  So, I’d hop in my car and order one of those 1000 calorie burgers along with fries and a drink of course too.  I gotta tell you.  Biting into that burger felt like sheer bliss.   But it only took a few days before I began to feel, well, not all that good.   I thought to myself.  I better hold off for a while on this double-whopper drive thru thing.  But then 10 pm came around.  And I felt like my body was screaming at me.  “Get me my double whopper now!”   It took all the willpower I had not to go.  I even think that one night I went so far as to get in the car and drive there.  Thankfully, the drive thru had a really long line.  So, I thought it best just to head back home.   But if that line had been shorter, I don’t think I could have resisted.

And I’ve avoided ordering double whoppers for years.  It’s not because I don’t like them.  It’s because I like them way too much.  

People are always getting caught up like that.   You look for something that promises you freedom, satisfaction, fulfillment.    And at first, it seems to deliver.    But all it delivers is a hook. And once that hook grabs you, it doesn’t want to let you go.   It doesn’t bring you freedom.  It brings you the opposite.   And it can happen with anything a drug or a double whopper, a relationship or even an idea of success.  Someone described addiction this way.  It’s anything that you need more and more of to make you less and less happy.   And that can happen well, with pretty much anything. 

So, if freedom doesn’t come in those ways, how does it come?  When this younger brother wakes up and decides to head home, Jesus shows you.

He goes home prepared to give up his freedom, to essentially become a slave to his father, until he is able to pay off the debt.   But that doesn’t happen at all.   His father rushes to him and embraces him.  He invites him in and welcomes him with his best robe and a lavish feast.    And in doing those things, Jesus is showing you the way to true freedom.  True freedom comes when you trust the love. 
In our house, our son has to deal with a lot of constraints.  He has to brush his teeth.  He has to clean the table.  He can’t always play with legos or watch youtube kids when he wants.  And boy, does he get frustrated.

But what if we didn’t do that.   What if we said to him?  Patrick, we don’t care what you do.  For a while it might feel awesome.  But after a while, I wonder if it would keep feeling so awesome.  Or instead, he would begin to think.  Do these people really care about me at all?   He might end up doubting the love.

As it stands, he puts up pretty well with the constraints.  In fact, he often seems to get a sense of satisfaction about them in the end.   And that happens, I like to think because, even when he disagrees with the constraints,  he trust that we are doing them because we love him; that we want the best for him; that we are for him.

And in those moments, when that younger brother feels his father’s embrace, he realizes that too.   He realizes.  His father loves him more than he ever imagined.  He realizes.  His dad is for him.  His dad is really for him.  And in that embrace, Jesus is telling you, you only enter into the true path to freedom when you trust the love, when you trust God loves you like that. 

Have you ever wondered why God put that bad tree in the Garden in the first place?  Wouldn’t it make sense to not have any bad tree there at all?  But God wanted people to be free, to be free even to make the wrong choice.  And as I have shared here before, the point of the tree wasn’t even the tree.  It was the trust.    God was saying to Adam and Eve.  Trust me about this tree.   Trust that I love you, that I want the best for you.

And in the story, that’s exactly what the snake attacks.  He first asks.  Did God say you couldn’t eat 
from any tree in the garden?   Now Eve corrects him.  She says to the serpent.  No, God only said we couldn’t eat from this tree.  But do you see the seed the serpent plants?   This God wants to constrain your freedom, wants to hold you back.  God is the everlasting killjoy.   You can’t trust the love of this God.   And so Adam and Eve believe that lie and eat.  But the fall doesn’t come from biting the fruit.  It comes from not trusting in the love.  And when Adam and Eve can’t trust the love of God, distrust enters the world.  They find it hard to even trust each other, to even trust themselves.   They don’t find freedom. They find separation, disconnection.  They find a world that isn’t free at all.

And ever since then, God has been on a rescue mission to free you in the only way true freedom comes, by trusting in the love.   Don’t you see? That’s why God came and become one of you.  That’s why God in Jesus even gave up his life for you.  He lost his freedom so he might win yours.  He took on the chains of imprisonment so he might break the chains that bind you.  He lost even his own life so you might find yours.   In all those things, God was showing you in the most breathtakingly, powerful way possible.  I love you.   You can trust in my love.   I will not betray you.  It will not walk away from you even when you try to kill me.  Nothing will take away my love for you, not even death.  

And when you realize that, when you open yourself to trust in the love, you become more and more free.  Constraints become expressions of care.   Limits become acts of love.   And a freedom finds you that is so deep, so true that you realize.  You will never find the end of it.  You discover a freedom that not even death can defeat.   And all you need to do is find the freedom is to trust the love, to feel, like that son, God’s embrace, to know this profound, beautiful truth.  God loves you, truly and completely.  You can trust it. You can trust that this God loves you no matter what.    

No comments:

Post a Comment