Sunday, February 10, 2019

What Is the One Thing that Opens You to the Abundance of Life That You Can So Easily Miss?


He can’t get enough.  When he’s not watching it, he’s imagining it.  He’s a ninja in Lego Ninjago.  My son loves that cartoon.   I get it.  Growing up, I had a cartoon I couldn’t get enough of either.  Does anyone remember Gigantor?    If you’re not sure, this could jog your memory.  Or if nothing else, it’ll tell you more than I’d rather admit about just how old I am.

Looking back, it looks kind of lame.   But when it came to that cartoon, my son and I had the same problem.   The time for dinner came to our home.   My parents called me to come.   They’d call me again and again.   But they didn’t understand.  I was watching Gigantor.  Even when I did make it to the dinner table, I could hardly concentrate.  What did Mom say?  I don’t know.  I was thinking about Gigantor.  The food, whatever it was, I wolfed that down.  After all, maybe I could catch the last five minutes when Gigantor saves the day.  So, when that stuff happens with my son, I get it.   But I also get how foolish it is.    My obsession with Gigantor has disappeared.  But the relationships built around that family table, they have not.   And now that she is gone, what I would give for one more meal around that table with my mom.    

But have things changed all that much from my childhood?  It may not be Gigantor.  But every day, life pulls me, pulls you away from the meals that truly matter.   Life lures you with bright shiny things that in the end leave you empty.  Meanwhile what truly fills you lies neglected, not even noticed, much less savored and enjoyed.   In the midst of life, you can miss what really gives you life.  So, how do you not miss that?  In these words, God shows you the way.   Let’s listen and hear what God has to say.


This week, I remembered a quote from the preacher, Eugene Peterson that made me sad.  Peterson wrote thats: People can think correctly and behave rightly and worship politely but still live badly: live anemically, live individualistically self-enclosed lives, live bored and insipid and trivial lives.  Who wants a life like that, an anemic life, an isolated life, a bored, trivial life?  Yet many live it.  You can go through your life and miss so much of the abundance God wants to give you.  It’s not because it’s hard to find. It’s right in front of you yet still you miss it, I miss it.  So how do you tap into that abundance?  How do you not miss it?  Here God tells you.  God says. You come and listen.  But to come and listen, you’ve got to buy and delight.

In fact, the words from Isaiah all work together to lead you to abundance. Take the words come and listen.  When I was sitting in front of Gigantor, my mom would call, but I honestly didn’t hear her.  And as noisy as my life was as a kid, the world has become even noisier.  And in that noise, you don’t only miss God’s voice, you miss your voice.  You can’t even hear yourself.  And because you can’t hear yourself, you don’t know you need to come.  If if you do come, you usually don’t come to where you can actually get what you need.  What do I mean?

Every now and then I’ll run to get a thing or two from the grocery store without realizing one important fact.  I’m hungry.   And if that’s happened to you, you know what happens.  All of a sudden, you want to buy way more than one or two things. Lots of things look good, so good they just gotta go in your cart.   In those moments if you’re like me, you’re not craving broccoli and Brussel sprouts.  No, you’re craving potato chips and Oreos, Fried Chicken and ham croquettes.  Mmmmm. That stuff sure feels good in the moment.  But you can’t live off it.  It doesn’t feed what you need.   In the end, it leaves you empty, empty of what you really need.

In the same way, you can go through your life thirsty, and not even know it.  You’re thirsting for some peace in your life, some relief from anxieties and fears.  And just like the hunger in the grocery store, you go for what fills you in the moment, what distracts you from the fear.  Maybe you immerse yourself in more activity.  Or maybe you turn to screens, to Netflix or Facebook or a video game, whatever. Or maybe you choose food or alcohol, something else that can numb you.   Or let’s say you yearn for security, some way to quiet insecurities that lie inside you.   So, you try to build your resume or get more stuff or try to please your friends more. All of these things, sure, they fill you for a bit.  But in the end, they leave your thirst still unquenched, your hunger still unmet.  That’s why God says, come and listen to me.

Listen to what your heart is telling you, what it is really hungering for, really yearning to receive.  And then come, God says.   I have a feast that fills you up, that quenches your thirst.  But for this feast to work, the listening has to move, from listening to yourself to listening to God. And when that happens, the filling comes.

Pretty much every day I can, I do two things.  First, I exercise, because well, those potato chips gotta go somewhere, and I’d rather it not be around my middle.  But, secondly, and more crucially, I take time to listen to God, read the Bible, pray.   I do that, because, I’ve come to learn, nothing feeds what I need more than that. 

And what I need these days most of all is hope.  I need God to fill me with hope. I get discouraged by the dysfunctions of our democracy. I get heartbroken by story after story of senseless, unfair suffering in our world.  I get intimidated by challenges we face as a church, heck, challenges I confront as your pastor.   And listening to the news channels, to the talking heads doesn’t give me hope.  Facebook and Twitter don’t do it.  Not even reading a ministry blog or how to be more effective book doesn’t do it.  But coming to God does.  It always does.

This past Friday, I was running on the treadmill at the gym. At the same time, I was looking at this app I use for my time with God.  And the passage we just read came up randomly as a scripture for the day.   But as I read it, I realized.  I hadn’t read all of it.  I had read just the part I was going to preach on.   But what God said after those words, that just blew me away.  Here is some of what God said.

Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on God while he is near…...“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.   “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.  As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth:  It will not return to me empty.  It will accomplish what I desire and achieve. the purpose for which I sent it.  You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands….This will be for the Lord’s renown, for an everlasting sign, that will endure forever.”

I heard God telling me.  I know you’re stressed out by all the stuff you don’t know, about the world, the nation, the church, yourself.  But I know, God said, and I know what my word sets out to do, gets done.  And you, Kennedy McGowan may not always feel large and in charge, but no worries, because I am.  And like the rain waters the earth, and makes things grow.  You keep sharing my word, and what needs to get done will get done. You will go out in joy.  You will be led forth in peace.

And just in case, I didn’t get it, God put Steve in the locker room that day.  When Steve shows up, I’m not too excited.  He’s a bit of a kooky Catholic, who loves to talk. He talks to me about the mystical body of Christ, his guardian angel, stuff like that.  But I know this.  Steve loves Jesus and know that Jesus loves him.   But Steve has had a tough time.  He’s a retired nurse but lives on a very limited income.  He’s become an Uber drive to make ends meet.  But that stressed him out, because he had a lease car with limited mileage.  And on top of that he had no idea what he would do for a car once that lease ran out. 

So, this past week, he came to the gym because he had nothing better to do.  He came angry and discouraged.  But he told me, my guardian angel, she kept talking to me, telling me to hope, to trust.  And then it happened, his key got stuck in his ignition. He couldn’t get it out.   He thought.  Oh great. So he drove to his dealership.  And while he was there waiting for the car, he talked.  He talked about this mess of a lease he was in, how it was stressing him out.  And the sales manager said.  We can fix that.  For about 70 bucks more a month, Steve said, I was able to buy the car.   And then the mechanic came and said to me.  Your key works fine. It’s not stuck.  Steve tried it.   Sure enough, the key went in and out like butter.  But Steve knew.  “I’m no dummy.” He said, “That key was stuck.  My guardian angel was just taking care of me one more time.”   And I believe him.  Because God’s word does get things done.  It gives hope.  It gives hope to me and to Steve. It gives hope to you, to everyone.    

But in order to come and listen, you’ve gotta buy into that hope, You’ve gotta delight in it.   And why would you do that?  Because this God has bought into you.  This God delights in you.   This God loves you so profoundly, so infinitely, he became one of you, one of us.   And as one of us, he offered up everything to give you a hope that not even death can defeat.  So you can go out in joy.  So you can be led forth in peace.  So, this week, each day, make time, even five minutes, to come and listen, to buy and delight.  In fact, we’ll start today with these words we read.  Close your eyes and read the passage below, every place you find a space, put in your name, to make these words God’s personal message to you.  So come and listen, buy and delight.  Listen to what God has to say to you.

Come everyone who thirsts, come to the waters;_______ and you that have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, ______buy wine and milk without money and without price. _____Why do you spend your money for what is not bread, and your labor for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to me, _______ eat what is good, delight yourselves in rich food.  Incline your ear, and come to me;_______ listen, so that you may live. I will make with you, _______ an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for you.    



No comments:

Post a Comment